Tuesday, October 30, 2012

What's In A Name?


I think that titles are my favorite part about writing something. Whether it's a poem on a napkin or my next play I'm working on... I title everything. I love titles. Giving something a name makes it permanent, and that scribble on my napkin has a purpose. (I got that from JK Rowling. She's not bad at her job...)

To Feel Strong comes from one of my favorite quotes. I'm a quote girl. I love em. I'm always searching for the next quote that will make this crazy life we're living in make a little bit of sense. And the quote that brings me back down to earth is from the book Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer.

The sea's only gifts are harsh blows, and occasionally the chance to feel strong. Now I don't know much about the sea, but I do know that that's the way it is here. And I also know how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once. To find yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions. Facing the blind death stone alone, with nothing to help you but your hands and your own head.

Oh, man. Right? You feel it? Feels goooood, huh? You gonna go climb that mountain? You betcha. I've struggled in the past few years with being tremendously hard of myself for the littlest things. I eat three pop tarts instead of one. I color outside the lines. I swear too much. While these things could be easily changed with some concentration, I find that because I'm so hard on myself... I give up. I don't think I'm strong enough to change. And that's just not true. I am strong enough. But more so-- I need to feel strong enough. 

It's part of the reason I want to start this blog. I want to document the days where I feel on top of the world, and the days where I barely move. Because even though those days are drastically different... I have the same amount of strength...It's just about when I feel it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment