Monday, April 8, 2013

The Sound of Music

Ever have those mornings where you yearn for sun and you can just tell, without looking at the window, that's it's mother loving cloudy and the sun will be nowhere but above the clouds today. Ugh. On days like this, especially when the double whammy of a cloudy Monday presents itself, I put in my earplugs and I jam out. I would say rock out, but my taste in music varies so much it's gross, so I can't quite say it's all rock n roll.

I dig music hard. I love it so. It's calm, it's crazy, it's emotional, it's vibrant. My favorite days are when you let your music play on schuffle and you become reminded of these songs that meant so much to you at a point in your life. There have been a few songs along the way that have made me feel better on sad days, happy on good days, and explosive on crabby Mondays when there is no sun. Ever.

But, today, with no sun, and a Monday, I played my tunes and what do you know... the best songs came on. One after another. And there is no way for me to be angry now. No way. I have to study for a test I take in a few hours, and getting to listen to this magic as I study is saving me. I feel the sun right now, in a metaphoircally bullshit way... Monday is going to be okay.

Cheers to the tunes, cheers to the beats, cheers to the lyrics that change you.

Some of my favorites at this very moment in time (it changes oh so quickly, but these always remain the goodies...)

David Bowie -- Heroes

Blu Sanders -- Get In The Car And Drive
:: I first heard this song because Ryan Gosling has a song with the same title, and I thought he was being cheeky recording under the name Blu... not the case. Still dig it.

Bon Iver -- Blood Bank

Justin Vernon -- Whippgrass
:: Lead singer of Bon Iver, sports a beard, and owns my soul.

Could It Be Another Change -- The Samples

Shiela Take A Bow -- The Smiths
:: any Smiths song ever recorded under the history of ever

Sussudio -- Phil Collins
:: you don't want me to talk about my love for Phil, because it is so deep and vast and I could talk for dayzzzzzz

Hurt -- Johhny Cash
:: do you like sobbing as much as I do? Good.

Never Had --Oscar Isaac

The Field -- Mason Jennings
:: After I heard this song live I went home, cried, and stayed up all night writing a play. Yep.

Ethiopia -- Red Hot Chili Peppers
:: If I ever run a marathon (hahahahahahahaha) this is the song I'll listen to for the complete nine hours it will take me. For the first mile. It will take me nine hours to run a mile, and that is not bragging; just fact.

What Would You Do? -- City High
:: Don't you judge me...

Let's Go Crazy -- Prince

Anna Begins -- Counting Crows
:: If I could write a song like this, I would spend every second of every day staring in a mirror and basking in my brilliance. But I write about flowers and that's fine...

Feels Like The First Time -- Foreigner
:: The live version, of course, dahling.

Go Your Own Way --Fleetwood Mac

Beautiful World -- Colin Hay


That's what I got. That's what I'm listening to this Monday. This is keeping me sane. Thank the Lord above.

Cheers to a new week. Cheers to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment