Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy Christmas, Harry

Confession: I could do without Christmas.

Jokes.

I love this holiday. It's not my favorite, that lies with Thanksgiving, but it's an amazing time of the year. In an otherwise gloomy, freezing cold month we gather with our family, my favorite people, and celebrate Jesus and all his glory. Some families don't, and that's okay. But I believe in Jesus and I celebrate all that He has given. Families that don't still get together and tell jokes about how ugly you were as a baby....so it's all relative.

I love giving gifts. I love the faces of people who are surprised I didn't buy them some yarn and one shoe. That's the fun part. It's good to be with people I love and to see them smile. It's what I hold onto when I'm homesick in cloudy Duluth.


This Christmas I'm thankful for my parents and all that they have taught me. Including:
-If a man tells you you're beautiful, check to see if his hands are in his pockets.
-Microwavable meat doesn't exist.
-Deodarant is what stands between getting the job and getting the 'thanks for coming in' handshake
-You can't go wrong with a nap.
-Parents that laugh together stay together.


One of my favorite Christmas memory is when my brother told me a certain someone didn't exist. I know it's a little odd for it to be my favorite, but it makes me laugh. [I don't think that anyone reading this still believes a certain someone exists, but if you do... Imma need you to not read any more of this as I have already ruined that secret and I'm not about a guilty conscious. Mkay?] My brother is three years older than me and we never got along growing up. I was a bossy kid, and he didn't care which way the spoons were supposed to face, he just knew he wanted to hurt me with one. We were out to eat and our favorite Sunday Brunch spot, The Crackle Barrel (we know what you're thinking), and I don't know how and I don't know why but I made him mad. I was looking at sunflowers in the gift shop before you're seated and he marched up to me and shouted, 'YOU KNOW SANTA ISN'T REAL, RIGHT?' I was in shock. How could this be? I watched movie upon movie of that fluffy haired man, and he's not real?! I believe there were many a tear, and my brother was grounded for a solid month. That's how you know if was a good offense, how much jailtime you got. And a month was pretty bad.



But learning about SC made it so that I could now watch the greatest Christmas film of all time... Tim Allen's The Santa Clause. I mean, there's just no greater movie to ever be made on the subject of Christmas! That movie is my drug, and I got it bad.

Other classic movies to watch this week:
--Love, Actually
--The Holiday
--National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
--Home Alone
--It's A Wonderful Life
--A Christmas Story

All amazing, all about Christmas, all a good time.

My mom and I are currently wrapped up in blankets watching White Collar. I've never watched the show, but I really like what I'm seeing! Attractive men, crime fighting, good laughs. All things I want to be a part of.

I'm also starting on my next reading list. Starting with Bossypants by Tina Fey, followed by Silver Linings Playbook, and this awesome book my dad gave me about the man who was a lawyer for the mob and then became the governor for Las Vegas. Oh man! It's gonna be a great month of reading.

I have a few weeks off of work, school, life basically, and I'm going to sleep and read, eat, sleep and read, drink, and sleep and read. There may be a few blog posts in between, but if not, have an amazing holiday. Keep laughing, and celebrate being with the people you're surrounded by and all that they have given you.

Happy Christmas, Harry. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment