Thursday, February 7, 2013

MY ORDINARY ADDICTION

I watch too much television. Way too much. It's gross, it's addictive, it's everything I want to be around.  My ultimate goal, my ultimate dream is to write on a TV show and to have that show move people and make them laugh and be about life and all the crazy things that go down. And I have too many shows that I am in love with, and I need to share them with my blog. One: so that you watch them. Two: So that my feelings are shared and I'm not just sitting in my living room alone smiling like an idiot at the romance I'm watching unfold between Carson and Mrs. Hughes.... Am I RIGHT?!

1. DOWNTON ABBEY
There are many, many things about this show that make me smile. Maggie Smith is the ultimate. The time period is the ultimate. Bates and Anna, Anna and Bates, Bates Bates Bates is the ultimate. I geek out when this show comes on and you never know what's going to happen. It's one of those shows that is extremely unforgiving in that regard. They want to make good television, and if that means killing off your favorite character although she is a perfect feminist beautiful human being.... they will. And they will smirk as they do it. Because Maggie Smith and Co. don't apologize for nobody.

2. NEW GIRL
Did you see that kiss? If you have, yep. Yep. Yep. If you haven't, we don't have much to talk about, do we?

3. PARENTHOOD
I'm watching the latest episode at this exact moment and I just don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe this show. It's everything I've ever wanted to write, it's everything I've ever wanted to watch. I love it. I think that Monica Potter is the best thing to happen to primetime television, I think that after watching this show week after week I want 19 children that all live within walking distance from me, and I think that my life is completely normal. And I love when I watch a show that makes me feel normal, instead of the usual questioning my existence at every right turn kinda thing. (And is had the best soundtrack since The OC, which yes I watched that shit and I reveled in it.)

4. ONCE UPON A TIME
Love me some fairytales.

5. COMMUNITY
I can't even talk about this one because I'm so jealous that I can only watch this show and not live it every day of my life. And I love a show that lives on based solely on fans rioting rather than piss poor marketing.

6. PSYCH
The little show that could in my eyes. It's widely popular on the USA Network, and I feel like a lot of people know about this show but they don't realize they are watching gold. And that's exactly what they are watching. GOLD. It's always the secret #1 pick for me. I used to have a competition, with myself, to see if I could get through an entire episode without audibly laughing. And I lose... every time.

7. THE LEAGUE
I don't know anything about football, but I know I want to be Jenny. That's all I know. And keep me the hell away from Taco.

8. IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY/PARKS AND REC/ RAISING HOPE
I don't need to watch these on a regular basis, but when I do... I laugh and escape for a half hour and that's a really great thing.

9. SHOWS THAT ARE NO LONGER (God Bless Netflix)
-Friday Night Lights-- there is no comparison to the love I hold for Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler, especially in khaki shorts.

-30 Rock-- Tina Fey, my spirit animal.

-24-- The best show to watch as a drinking game. Every time Jack says 'Damn it!' or 'Get me Chloe.' you DRANK.

-West Wing-- Toby. Danny Concannon. Leo. Nuff said.

-Prison Break-- you tried so hard....

-Seinfeld-- every night at dinner growing up we would watch a very small television with a very tall Michael Richards and we would laugh. I love that.


So as you can see it's an addiction. I watch a many more shows than listed as well. It's an addiction, it's a love, it's bliss. I grew up on television, and I love the stories. I blame my mother, but that's not fair. I really should blame my father... who doesn't read this blog and could care less.

Cheers to escaping, cheers to relaxing, cheers to honest writing, and cheers to jokes that make you spit up your brew. Cheers to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment