Monday, January 28, 2013

Let's Take A Walk

I can't tell you why bad things happen to good people, but I can be there to hold your hand so you remind yourself which way is up while you get your breath back.

Take a walk with me.

I've never been able to tell the difference between a good carb and a bad carb and what makes up a carb because all I see is the frosting on the doughnut, and all I feel is the smile on my face.

Take a walk with me.

Some nights I can't sleep, so I think of a man in a small town that's written the next great novel. Only one person will ever read that book, and he'll take it with him when he leaves. He gets to Heaven and God cries 'You wrote such a beautiful message! Why didn't you share it with anyone?' and the guy replies 'I shared it with You.'

Take a walk with me.

The idea of going to a far away land and becoming a new person excites the hell out of me. But knowing you have to leave the people that literally held onto your limbs to keep you upright in times of doubt makes me sad. I'm sad sometimes.

Take a walk with me.

I've never had a man put his hands on my cheeks and gently lean in for what is sure to be one of those kisses you hold onto when he forgets to flush the toilet for the third time that week. I want one of those kisses, but I'm damn sure gonna wait for the right one.

Take a walk with me.

When he died I kept thinking I'd lost my best friend. Lost. What a funny word. I'd find him in my dreams. I'd talk to him and ask him why he left. Sometimes he'd say 'You wouldn't understand.' and all I can say is 'You're right. Moving on...' and then he'd ask me about New York...

Take a walk with me.

If you're not failing at something does that mean you're succeeding? Because I find my greatest talent is finding the crack in the ground and burying myself in it until someone notices me. When they do, they get angry but not for too long. They have to admit that burying yourself in a crack in the ground takes talent.

Take a walk with me.

When I met you I thought I was broken, sad, and alone. And you showed me all the ways that I was actually just an idiot. I'm human, and the day I looked myself in the mirror and made the agreement that I would always own who I saw looking back I became who I am today. And that's because of you. I love you.

I didn't fall, I walked in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment