Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Two Cents

I need to start this blog by stating something very obvious, I am not political. If you were to ask me who ran against Clinton, I would talk about Clinton's hair first. If you were to ask me who ran against Ronald Reagan, I would need a minute to find a computer and look it up. If you asked me on the spot to spell Reagan... It would take a few tries. I'm not the girl who reads Huffington Post and New York Times and knows everything that's going on in our government. I'm the girl who watches West Wing and House of Cards and thinks John Spencer mixed with Kevin Spacey is a man I'd like to meet...

I wish I knew more about this country and the women and men that lead it. I wish I knew the terms so this blog could appear in a newsletter for more than 20 eyes to see. I wish I had the words that were going to change what I think needs changing. But, for now, I have the internet to look up terms, I have my own voice, and I have this blog. This wonderful blog.

Yesterday, I logged onto Facebook to find that multiple people had changed their Facebook picture to the Human Rights logo, an equal sign. I thought, hell yeah, I don't know why this is happening, but let's do it! Let's change our picture and show our support! It's really amazing to me that so many friends support all walks of life, any and all people, no matter what they bring to the table.

There was one friend, though, who posted--how shall I word this?-- a very conservative phrase on the website. It got over 100 likes. Meaning that over 100 people were not only sick of what they were seeing that day on social media, but they wanted to show that they were against it.

And it shouldn't bother me this much. It shouldn't. I'm allowed at any time of day to shout from the rooftops that I support equal rights, that I believe marriage should be allowed to any two people, that love is something we all deserve. So... shouldn't somebody else be able to say, at any time of day, that they think marriage is between man and woman, that they think love is selected for those who were born a certain way... the same way they were? Aren't they allowed that?

I think they are. Truly. I think that opinions are opinions and I have a few myself that don't make sense. So... go for it. And then. Suddenly. That slow boil starts in my gut, and grows to my stomach, and then my heart.... and then I'm pissed. I'm angry that people don't see it the way I see it. That they would take the time and energy in a day that's short enough as it is to spread any kind of hatred. So I close my computer and I walk around and I take a deep breath. And it hits me. Yesterday was the first time it really hit me. This person may have never had a single person in their life explain their sexuality to them. They may have gone 22 years without a single openly gay man or women in their life.

 It's 2013, and since I can remember... I've had a gay friend. Litchrally since 4th grade, my brothers friend said he thought he liked boys and I laughed at him and he started crying. That was the day I said it was okay for people to like who they like.... because this boy had a great head of hair and I thought he was cute but he thought our friend Robbie was cute, so.... Life. But my point.. somehow... is that everyone should have that person in their life. That person that tests you and your values by stating that they are different from what you've pinned them to be.

My hope is these laws will pass. In time, in my lifetime, I truly believe that all people will have the choice to marry whom they choose. My friends will not have to go to another country for any kind of certificate. I'm not worried about the law. I want to see the bill passed, I want to see my friends get married, I want to celebrate with them... But it will happen. I don't have an ounce of doubt in me. What I am worried about it the hate. Is the comments like the one I saw. I don't understand how people still cast out hatred when we have seen what it leads to.

So. Here's my statement. I support a man and a woman getting married. I support a man and a man. I support a woman and a woman. I support the eleven year old kid being called a faggot because he's honest with not only himself (which is impossible at that age, BY THE WAY) and with the world. I support women who strive to be treated at the level of men. I support men who work hard day in and day out to support their families. I support people. Because as a child I was told to treat others the way I wanted to be treated. I learned that from my parents, from my teachers, from my friends. It's simple.

Treat the man walking down the street with holes in his shoes as if the roles were reversed. Treat the woman with a bruise on her face as if you too had to wear the sunglasses to cover it up. Treat the couple walking down the street with their son with respect, no matter if it's two men or not.

Who you choose to love should not be the topic of discussion. We should be focusing on how we love, and what message we are sending to one another. That's what I care about. That's what keeps me up at night. My message is that no person should be looked down upon because they are brave enough to fall in love. No person should have to feel lesser because their heart is open and willing to share.

Cheers to the brave. Cheers to the characteristics that make us who we are. Cheers to those who stand up for one another and give out good. Cheers to Matt Shepard. Cheers to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment