Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Smell The Roses

These past few days I have not stopped to smell the roses. I've stopped to feel negative, to be hard on myself, and to take a lot for granted. No more! I'm officially dedicating this post to all that I am thankful for. Some of these things are oh so very random, others are very personal, and some are just plain fun.

I'm thankful for my imagination, and my dreams. I've never had too big a dream in my own eyes. I may feel stuck or in a rut in accomplishing the dream... but I don't doubt that I can get there some day. My imagination has taken me to amazing places, and I'm grateful for that.

I'm grateful for my parents. I called both my parents yesterday, and it was amazing to get advice from two very different people who live everyday as a united couple. They are a true example of what a marriage should be, and I'm excited to find someone one day that I can be as happy with.

I'm thankful for where I live. Not only in Duluth, not only Minnesota, but America. Today is a very important day for America. A lot could change. I find myself very nervous. The Vote No campaign means a lot to me, and I think it would be a shame for my friends to have their rights taken away. But, and this is a very small... smallllllll but, whatever happens.. they are still loved and appreciated and accepted. No matter what. I'm thankful that I have been raised to believe that no characteristic of a person defines who they are. We are all made up of specific, unique things, and that should be celebrated.

I'm thankful that even though there is a fire alarm going off every three seconds as I type this in a lobby, I still have my sense of humor rather than smashing my computer against the wall.........because it's gone through my mind.

I'm thankful that I've had many friendships throughout my life. My close friends from high school and I have drifted more than I would like...but looking back, I have such fond memories with them. I wouldn't trade those years for anything. I hope they know how much I care for them and wish them well. I'm thankful that I learned how to become a good friend by having friends like them.

I'm thankful for my friends that have become family. All of my close friends feel like familiy, but there are a certain few that aren't going anywhere. No matter what. That's a rare and exciting thing. I'm so thankful for everything I've learned from them.

I'm thankful for the prospect of starting over...even if you never truly start fresh, the idea of a blank canvas allows creativity to burst out of you. That's an amazing thing.

I'm thankful.... for forgiveness. And how often it comes around. The people that have hurt me in the past have been forgiven. And then as time passes that wound reopens, and you have the opportunity to forgive them all over again. It can be very painful, depending on the person or the action... but after it's over it feels so liberating. After the storm, you're so different from the person you were before. I love that. People make horrible, rotten, selfish mistakes...but they are human. Forgiveness is one of the best gifts you can give a person... it allows them to continue on their journey.

I'm thankful, in all seriousness, for Free Willy. Stop laughing. I said stop... Free Willy came into my life when my mother was raising two kids on her own, rewrapping unused toys so we had more than just a few gifts at Christmas. She's the greatest. And I think it was Easter, and we had our Easter baskets hidden that morning... and when we found them, my brother's basket had Grease (not because he would like it, but because John Travolta looks really good in black pants...and my mom had a crush on him) and I had Free Willy in mine. My mom got us through some tough years, and when we didn't have a lot.. she made sure our cup runneth over. I don't know how she did it, I'm convinced she's an alien. Anyway, throughout my years I've never forgotten that feeling of seeing a new movie in our basket. Free Willy has become my secret weapon to remind myself that in the worst situation, everything will be okay.  To remind myself that one thing, one mediocre movie can change your viewpoint on where you're at in life. We didn't have a lot, but we had each other. I'm so thankful for everything my mom did to give us our childhood, and to Free Willy for making me smile as we ate Kraft Mac N Cheese for the eighth day in a row :)

I'm thankful for this blog. I love it. I love having something that is all mine, that no one can touch. I love being able to share it if I want, and also be able to keep it to myself. I'm so glad I've continued it, and I think it's helping me a lot.

I'm thankful for my words. And my voice. I feel important when I write, like I matter. That's the best feeling in the whole world.

I'm thankful for Nutella. Straight up.

I'm thankful for second chances.

I'm thankful for today. It's horrible weather, I woke up late, haven't eaten, should be very crabby..... and I'm still having a great day. I love that even when everything is going wrong, there's an opportunity to be immensely happy and use your own positive attitude to get through your day. That's cool, and gives me a lot of hope. 

As we make our way to Thanksgiving, my very favorite holiday, I'm reminded of all the people, things, attitudes, and places to be thankful for. I feel so excited to start fresh, and to find new things that empower and strengthen me. I think I'm the most thankful for that. A new start, new moments of realization, and to look back and be thankful for more wonderful things that come into my life.

Life is good, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment